Saturday, August 6, 2011

My First Food Cart Experience!

I have been told when it comes to food, New York City has the most amazing offerings and they often wheel their way up on the curb just outside your workplace... literally.... well that was the case with Thursday's lunch venture.

It's all Managing Editor Doug O'Brien's fault. He came in earlier this week with a plate of amazing-smelling stuff. I say stuff... because.... well it was a pile of stuff with sauces and veggies that I could see brimming from it. So, I asked what it was and he said it was the New York staple of Chicken over Rice.

"Where did you get it?" I asked.

"The food cart outside."

I was sold... I knew I needed to try that gastronomic creation! So I ate salad and fruit only for dinner and breakfast, preparing for the calories I was likely about to ingest.

Thursday when lunch came around I walked out of the building, looked to the right, and there it was! A cart that promised chicken over rice and a soda for $6! And since it was only a little after 1 (early for lunch here it seems) there wasn't much of a line.



Another reason the line was short was that the two guys inside were serving up at a rapid pace. The line was constantly moving.



And here, my friends, is my plate of bliss!!!



What exactly is it? Well, there's rice, chicken, lots of grilled veggies, onions, lettuce, tomato, hot sauce and white sauce all piled together. I'm not sure what all the seasonings and spices are that were in the creation, but they worked.

Now, once again, they serve a lot of food up here. I heard from a Northerner that the reason is they are always in 'winter mode' thinking they need more calories, even when it's warm. But, instead I knew what I was going to order and put half in a tupperware container. That means more yummy-ness later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment