Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Night Out In North Bergen

I lied. I am not showing you the condo today. The reason for that is because I ended up out in town last night and have stories to share.

Last night was National Night Out. I had forgotten until I saw it in the paper (pic) By the way, let me mention this is the first time I have had a 'hometown paper' that I have read that was NOT the Florida Today, so quite the interesting moment for me.

On page 4 was the mention of the National Night Out events. The North Bergen community had three events running at different spots in the city, one of them just a few blocks from me. So, when the topic was brought up in the office I said I would be happy to go out and thus the assignment was given. I was there just after it started and there was a decent crowd. This is looking from a block away…

And a little closer…

They had closed down a three-block area for the party and well, I just had to take this picture of the roadblock officer. It was such the stereotypical 'northern cop leaning on the car looking cool' picture that I expected from the Northeast. No, my northern friends, I am not picking, I just thought it was a perfect picture of how they are often depicted.

First observation of my little slice of the North Bergen community – it REALLY is a melting pot. I heard a handful of different languages being spoken as I walked through the crowd and interviewed a Spanish family, and Indian family, a Muslim family, older and younger residents and even a couple that were originally from Germany. I also met a handful of transplanted Floridians - some from Central Florida even. Case in point - Valerie's parents actually met in Melbourne when helping out after a hurricane and started their romance in my hometown! How cool is that!


I interviewed residents about National Night Out and also had a chat with Sgt. Thomas Ferrari of the North Bergen Police Department and it struck me…. I'm new to town and don't know all the places to eat… but I know enough police officers to know they ALWAYS know!


So I hit him up for the scoop. The pizza restaurant I had found is their #1 Italian pick – Kudos to me! And then he pointed up the street and recommended the Cuomo Deli for great deli food.

Since I hadn't had dinner yet, I decided it may be time to check out if the Sgt knew his stuff. Stephanie was working the counter and I explained I was new and that the PD told me this was the place to come for a deli sandwich. She recommended something with mozzarella….as they are known for their homemade mozzarella! I got the Parma - prosciutto, mozzarella, sundried tomatoes, balsamic vinagrette and she added some oil.


She piled on all the ingredients……

And I enjoyed the YUM!!!! It was amazing… the mozzarella literally melts in your mouth. And while everyone thinks everything is expensive up here, this sandwich was $7, delicious and huge. I only ate ¼ of it for dinner. I could have probably pushed myself to eat half, but it’s still at least a two-meal sandwich… great deal!!!

Looking at the picture is making me want to have more…. Time for a piece of sandwich for breakfast!

1 comment: