Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Found Adventurer's Club North, sort of.

Today marks 2 weeks since I altered life as I knew it and moved into a condo I had never seen in NJ. It seems like it has been a lot longer - not in a bad way. It just seems that I know my way around and have become pretty comfortable with many parts of what I am doing and where I am going here, so I'm pretty happy.

I have been doing a lot of exploring and one of the things I have found is something that reminded me of home... at least home a few years ago.....something very reminiscent of the Adventurer's Club at Pleasure Island.

Now, Disney Adventurer's Club fans, we have all been mourning a few years now since the club at Pleasure Island was closed down. Well I found a place that reminded me somewhat of being back home at the club. It's called Jekyll & Hyde. There are actually two of them. The first is in the Village


The second is uptown on 6th not too far from Central Park. The outside of that one has construction scaffolding all over, so not a great photo op....




Consider Jekyll and Hyda a 'dark' Adventurer's club with a mad scientist theme. There are things that come to life on the wall and interact with you. I first went to the Village location the weekend I moved to NJ. When My friend Steve and I walked in it was the werewolf who wanted to know who we were and why we were there.




and as lunch went on the gargoyle






The Pharaoh




and the mummy figurehead began chatting with us…



not to mention our 'butler' who made the rounds.




And if you need to use the little boys or girl's room… good luck….




and yes, that sign over head does say "Looking for a bathroom stall? Find the passage in the wall." The bathroom entrance is hidden


Here are a few more pics I took. Yes, I know they're a little dark, but the whole place was VERY dark, so the fact that these came out is pretty impressive!







This past weekend I went to the 6th Avenue location. It's much larger, four stories of themed rooms and more characters interacting. Here are a few pics I took. Hmm... what are those? Bar stools that go up and down while people are sitting on them??? I think I may have seen those somewhere before!




Ok Adventurer's Club folks... this guy spins and talks...all he is missing is a 4 sided sofa!!!! We had Zeus, they have Apollo.



I had a little longing for the Haunted Mansion as I watched the eyes in the pictures move as I walked up....








And there is even a mask wall... Ok, so it's not a mask room, but same concept and with a script that may have been borrowed, at least in part, from the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom...



I heard there was even a Colonel Critchlow in a cauldron that used to pop out but was not working while I was there :(

3 comments:

  1. Cool went to this place about 12 years ago when I was married...spent a long, fun, afternoon there and had a complete blast. The Moose on the wall was silent for four hours and then began to sing! Sat in one of those slowly descending bar stools! Had one of the bottles of liqueur squirt me with water! Every corner of the place had something interesting going on...if we ever get up to visit you, wanna go there again. Bartender was also awesome...great place Michelle! Thanks for sharing and reminding!!! We miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recollect that it used to be called "FX", short for special effects...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tod! I am glad you liked it and I enjoyed visiting it as well. If you're ever up this way please let me know and we will definitely go!!

    ReplyDelete