Monday, August 1, 2011

I have confidence in me, I think….

It's Monday morning and time for me to head into 'the city' for my new job with Merlin Media. And I have thought of a song that suits my mood this morning...



Yes, I feel like the Sound of Music's Maria on many levels. Nervous, yet excited - feeling a bit out of my element thinking "What will this day be like? I Wonder. What will my future bring?" Albeit I will not be donning the same convent outfit she had on… nor is there any consideration in 'turning back' (Sorry Orlando newsroom). No I am in wonder of this new adventure and ready to go!

This whole endeavor is quite different from anything I have done. I am about to head into a new city and new job among a group of people I don't know.

The last place I worked, I knew some of the people before I even started there, and it was only an hour from where I lived. And I was in the building with them for 12 years. So, this is quite a shock to the system on all levels.

The culture here is different. I am a southern girl, born and raised in Florida, who is now completely enveloped in the north. From aggressive driving to dealing with lines for everything, it's all new and different.

I do know how to get to work.

You may think that sounds like something that should be easy, but you don't drive in the city, you use public transit to get you there. I have used the transit system maybe 1-2 times in my life. We just don't do that in Florida. Before he headed back south, Steve helped me with a test run over the weekend and I figured out how to get to work and back. It's only one bus and a subway ride and a few block walk.

The bus stop is right down the hill from the condo, and the view from that spot is pretty nice, so much so we took pictures when we were doing the 'trial run'

And I am now the owner of my first Metrocard.

I am rather confident I can make it to the building today. We'll see what happens after that!

1 comment:

  1. Perfect song for a new start! I play that whenever I start a new job, too!
    And welcome to New York!

    ReplyDelete