Friday, September 30, 2011

War Horse - WOW!

(yes, I know I have taken a week to post this.... sorry... but here is is!)

War Horse

Astounding. Breathtaking. Charming. Dramatic. Enthralling. Fantastic.

I could likely go through the whole alphabet with words to describe this show. It was a complete and utter WOW! First note, I am a musical person, I LOVE musicals. I am reluctant to see plays, and this is a play. Second note - this now has been boosted right to the top of my list as the best show I have ever seen. And it will take some work for something to top this one.

The story is set in World War I. Joey, the horse, is being raised by Albert, until Albert's father sells him to the army, and we follow his time in the army as well as Albert's hunt for his horse. That's the short version.

First things first - Understanding Joey. Joey is a puppet, but unlike any puppet you have seen before. The young Joey is operated by two people. The grown up Joey is a ride-able puppet that is operated by three people.

It is a marvel to watch. I grew up in a home where we raised horses. I don't remember a time in my youth when we did not have at least 6-8 horses in the backyard. I know their little quirks and movements, the little flicks of the ears, small movements of the tail or a foot to express things. They had it all down, even the breathing of this puppet.

The acting staff was also brilliant. I am going to step back and let the videos show you more, but let me simply say this... if you are ANYWHERE near where this is playing (it's at Lincoln Center now and still playing in London) GO SEE IT!

And, for the love of God, take Kleenex! You ARE going to be attached to Joey. You ARE going to be attached to Albert. Heck, you are likely going to end up attached to the German, even though he's on the other side of the war. You will care for them all.

You will be enthralled in the story and the nearly three hour show will flash by. Also, if you go to the Lincoln Center and can swing it, get tickets along the aisle between the 400 and 500 section. Sometimes it's good not to have center seats. Just trust me on this one!

Now, the videos - The official trailer...



A piece from Broadway.com previewing the show.



Joey at Sandown - This is a great video to see how well the puppeteers become the horse.



A cute video of the horses at Lincoln Center - again to see how well the horses move and interact.



and.... the comic relief of the show... the War Goose... anyone who knows me knows I WANT ONE! :) Go through the video to 4:25 and that's where he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment