Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Broadway - 5 days 5 shows!

So, you may be wondering where I have been the past week. The short answer is Broadway.

One of my closest friends, Clay, was in town and we're both show people. So we decided to see a couple. Ok, a lot - 5 shows in 5 days last week. Some were totally amazing. One was quite disappointing and a couple in the middle. For the next couple days I'll fill you in on my thoughts about what I saw.

Let's get the painful one out of the way... shall we? Mary Poppins. I know, you're saying, Mary Poppins? Really? But you're the Julie Andrews and Disney-loving loony!! How can you have not liked Mary Poppins??? That should tell you something. If I didn't like it, that's a really bad sign.

I had heard good things about the show and was ready to be dazzled and taken into a Disney moment. It didn't happen. I just never became connected with the characters. Ok, I did with Bert, a little, but that was it. I felt no emotion towards anyone else. I am usually the first person to connect with characters and want to let myself become a part of the story... but it didn't happen... I had to fight falling asleep!

And it was not that the actors were bad. They were all good... their voices were enjoyable when they were singing. I just didn't connect.

So out of the 5 shows last week, it gets bottom ranking... heck it's the bottom of the 7 I've seen since I got here.

Now I can't end on a down note, so let't look at it's redeeming qualities. The moving sets and some of the stage magic were fantastic and this was probably my favorite song of the show... so, here you go... watch this song, and skip the show... even with half-off tickets I wouldn't do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment