Monday, September 5, 2011

Follies

Well, I've seen my first Broadway show since I moved up to New York City.

And I saw it for half price.

And, it gets better....

It had Bernadette Peters in it!

The revival of Follies is in preview at the Marquis Theatre and the other night I decided to see if I can get a good ticket at a good price. Perhaps you seen those red buildings that say TKTS on them? Well, there are three of them in the city and they offer discounted tickets within hours of a show. You know, the seats the theater has been unable to sell and they prefer to get a few bucks for them versus nothing. Well, thanks to that discount plan, I was able to get a $140 ticket for 70 bucks! Score!

I borrowed the synopsis from Playbill

At a 1970's reunion of aging Follies chorines, two of the "girls" have a chance to reexamine their lives, and especially their marriages. Did they marry the wrong men? The answers begin to emerge when the ghosts of their former selves lead them back into the Ziegfeld-like Loveland, where everybody "lives to love" and "loves to live." Includes the songs "In Buddy's Eyes," "I'm Still Here," "The Girls Upstairs" and "Losing My Mind."

Now my version....

Bernadette Peters is Sally Durant and Jan Maxwell is Phyllis Stone. They were a couple of Weismanns Follies in the 40s... and now they are back at their 'final reunion' in 1971. They both had married and started lives with the men they met while they were Follies.. but Sally always wanted to be with Benjamin Stone (Ron Raines). He, however, married Phyllis so she married Buddy (Danny Burstein). At the reunion, she wonders if she can change her life and be with Benjamin now.... that's the crux... wanna see what happens? Go see the show! It's fabulous! It opens officially on September 12th....

Ok, so I will give you a little more... Here are a few pics from the website http://folliesbroadway.com





And someone posted a couple of clips on Youtube from when the show was at the Kennedy Center...so here are a couple numbers.

Don't look at me
Bernadette Peters Ron Raines


I'm Still Here
Elaine Paige


Who's that woman
Weismann's Follies


Buddy's Blues
Danny Burstein


But trust me, these video clips are not doing it justice, you really should go if you are up this way.


1 comment:

  1. Sweet!!! Thanks for sharing Michelle...this is really nice!!!

    ReplyDelete