Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Detail is in the Doughnuts

It's funny the things that sometimes get my attention while covering a story. Sometimes they have nothing to do with the story itself. Take the ribbon cutting ceremony for The OUT NYC for example. Of all the things I talked about in the newsroom relating to this story, the thing they and I were most interested in was the doughnuts.


First, a little background. The OUT NYC on 42nd Street is the first straight-friendly hotel in New York City. What does that mean?


"It was built for people who are gay,to be comfortable than they often are in other hotels but straights are welcome too," Hotel President Ian Reisner told me, "I hear from friends all the time they often check into a hotel and they want a king-sized room and it's two men or two women and they very often get a weird stare. The idea of a gay couple kissing or holding hands in the lobby of a hotel very often makes them uncomfortable."


Ok, back to the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.



Once they cut the rainbow-striped ribbon, everyone was let in to look around.


I took a look at the things you would usually look at on this kind of story - one of the rooms:


There are also three outdoor courtyard areas. This one is kind of a picnic spot:


There were two others that were not 100% finished, but one has waterfalls and they look like they're going to be pretty nice. You can see more of the concept images on the website TheOutNYC.com


And finally there was a reception area where we could do interviews. They were serving up cappuccinos and things like these doughnuts:


You can see they're colorful in this picture, but try the close up:


Yes, that's glitter. The doughnuts glittered! I don't think this picture really does them justice. I needed better lighting. But lighting or not, when I have shown people the pictures I took at the hotel, this is the one they are most interested in, the cute doughnuts.


By the way, when mentioned how cute they were to the Food & Beverages Manager he told me they wanted to have "gay doughnuts for the opening of a gay hotel." You can tell me if he hit the mark on looks, but I can tell you, they were tasty, with a hint of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment