Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What Was He Thinking?

Here's the situation. You're on trial. You're facing 15 criminal counts. You could be locked up for 10 years or more if found guilty. It's the last time you're going to see the jury before they decide your fate. The judge is giving out his final instructions to them before they head to the jury room and you're....struggling to stay awake? This was defendant Dharun Ravi as the jury was getting instructions in the Rutgers webcam spying case. He's accused of using a webcam to spy on his roommate having sex with another man. Roommate Tyler Clementi commited suicide just days later.

It didn't take long until the struggle was over and it seemed the sleep won.

Yes, there was even a head bob this time. You know, the head bob you get when you start to fall asleep sitting up, your head starts to fall, and your jerk awake. So, what do you do then?...

Use your hand as a prop...

Now, to keep this in context, he didn't nod off for long periods of time. They were little short moments. There was no snoring. But if it were me, and there was a group of people across the room looking at me and the judge, about to decide my fate. I would sure as heck be awake and acting like I cared what was going on.

I found myself thinking 'C'mon man! Pretend you care! Even if you're faking it, you should at least pretend you care!"

I did talk to one attorney who thinks the jury will be understanding that Ravi has been through a lot in the past few weeks and is likely stressed and tired, but if I was on the jury and asked to pay close attention to everything as I decide the case and see he doesn't seem to care about what's going on, I have to wonder if that wouldn't somewhat impact my image of him and possibly influence my decisions.

You're stressed? You should be? You're not sleeping well? I'm not surprised. But hit a Starbucks. Get a triple shot. Get a 5 Hour Energy drink. Just stay awake until the jury leaves to deliberate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment