Friday, July 29, 2011

You Can Get There From Here….

It's just one heck of a drive……

Wondering how the drive from FL to NJ/NY went? It was long… very long.

I left Wednesday. It was a bizarre feeling, pulling out of my driveway, steering the big rental truck with my car trailer on the back of it. You know that "did I forget something?" feeling you get when you go on a vacation? It was multiplied many times over.

I have no problem driving a big truck I don't even have a problem by driving a big truck that has a big trailer on the back of it. However, driving this little tow trailer with my car on the back of it was one of my least favorite driving experiences. When you drive the big trailer you can look in the mirrors and see what it's doing. It gives you peace of mind of the trailer is, in fact, where you left it – attached to the back of the truck. I didn't get that luxury towing the car on the back of the truck. I kept hoping it was still there. Unless I was taking a sharp curve, there was no way to see it or tell.

Lucky for me, as soon as I got to Savannah, I had help. My friend Steve took a few days off to help me to finish the drive and get my stuff into the new condo. Not only was he great company, but he drove the next 9 hours of the trip (and then after a 4 hour break, the last 2. The drive from Melbourne, Fla to NJ took just under 24 hours. It was a hard trek and we were quite tired by the time we arrived, but we made it safe and sound.

The flying squirrels had mixed reviews of the trip. Susie, the older squirrel, just wanted to know there is food and a place to sleep. Everything else was irrelevant. Once she realized the travel cage met those requirements, she no longer cared that she was out of her usual cage, out of her house and in a noisy shaking truck. Amelia, on the other hand, found nothing about the travel cage met her requirements. She paced around the travel cage, tossing food, blankets, and anything else she could get her little paws on. She's even started biting Susie when throwing things around didn't seem to make her feel better. Eventually, she settled down.

Once we arrived, we found out that the pre-war building my condo is in has a very, very small elevator that is more trouble to use than just hiking all the furniture and boxes upstairs into the condo. It was quite the enjoyable task. Adding one more hurdle was the fact that the small hallway with a tight corner that had to be maneuvered to get into the apartment was too tight to get the 8 foot squirrel cage through. So after a trip to Lowes, and some sawing and stapling and new pieces of lumber, the cage was cut and reassembled inside the condo and the squirrels are now happy at home again.

I would write more but there is a mess of stuff to unpack, so that's it for today. Let me wrap it up with a video of the journey here.


1 comment: