Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Charting A Course Through Emotional Waters

On the topic of moving - While for most people the idea of picking up and moving to a new place is not such a big deal, this is not something I do.


I travel to other places, but I have always lived in Florida. As a matter of fact, other than for about 5 years of being in Orlando I have always lived in Melbourne, Florida. And today, I am going to pull out of my driveway heading to to New Jersey to take on a job in New York.


I have friends here I have had for decades. I have friends that I consider siblings for the closeness we share.

I have always been near my immediate family. I live all of three houses from my parents and my little brother is the furthest from away and he is in Orlando. I have no family in New York or New Jersey. The closest family I have up north is a cousin in Boston.


When it comes to my folks, I'm used to being 'right around the corner' when things are needed. A phone call for help and I can walk over.. I am used to filling that role and I am sure 1,100 miles between us is going to lead to a lot of helpless feelings when I can't offer those 'I'll be right there' services.

And despite the fact that I am 37, they are having a tough time with 'their little girl' moving so far away. It doesn't matter how old you are, and perhaps worse because I am older and more observant, it's heart-wrenching to see your parents cry. There was already some of that last night, and I have no doubt there will be more before I leave today.

All of this said, I do know this is where I need to be going and what I need to be doing. But I realize my journey is not going to be just one of learning new roads in a new town and a new job, but also it will be quite the adventure on the emotional front!

No comments:

Post a Comment