Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Always Squirrely in Philadelphia

So... part two of my trip to Philly mostly relates to after I returned home.

While I was in the city I found a street-side fruit vendor that had hazelnuts by the pound. I know. You're thinking 'Who cares?' Well, I just happen to have two adorable little girls at home who care a LOT!!

I haven't found places to buy just hazelnuts of pecans (in shells) in NY/NJ....unless I buy a huge bag of mixed nuts that has only a few of them... Not worth it. Unfortunately, I have raised at least one snob squirrel. Observe.... this is Amelia with a bowl of nuts... almonds, peanuts, and walnuts. But she will dig through the bowl until she finds the one hazelnut that is buried, even passing up some 1/2 opened almonds...



Meanwhile, Susie, my post-surgery cancer squirrel is just learning how to venture out and play more (She had been in a small cage as a breeder most of her life before I got her, so playing is new to her) Since she had surgery her 'leaping' skills aren't great so I have a couple cardboard ramps for her to use to get around. But she too was thrilled with having some hazelnuts to hide and eventually eat. (I realize this video is darker, but she doesn't deal with the light as well as Amelia does)



Both girls were very exited to have lots of hazelnuts to hide. How do I know? They were vocal.. Here's a clip of what 'alerting squirrels' sound like. They chirp. Both of them chirped non-stop for about 30 minutes as they were hiding hazelnuts all over the place...



I think that means I can go to Philly anytime I want as long as there is a bag of hazelnuts in my purse when I come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment